|Giving Academic Talks||02.12.2022 09:00 - 17:00 (Fri)|
|Giving Academic Talks||09.12.2022 09:00 - 17:00 (Fri)|
GraduateCenterLMU Workshop for Doctoral Candidates
Academic researchers need to present their messages clearly and effectively so that the audience can understand and remember the communicated information. The workshop will strengthen participants' presentation techniques with a focus on getting their messages across more effectively. Participants will also be provided with a framework for developing their own talks and applying rhetorical techniques to create clearer messages.
In the workshop you will have the opportunity to prepare and deliver short presentations as well as to gain practice in dealing with questions. Talks are followed by constructive feedback from a native-speaker trainer as well as from other participants.
- Ensuring a clear structure to help convey messages
- Creating a strong opening and conclusion
- Developing rapport with your audience
- Emphasizing key information
- Applying rhetorical techniques to ensure clearer messages
- Dealing with questions competently
- You should have at least a strong intermediate level of English (B2) with the ability to actively take part in discussions. For a quick self assessment see Cambridge Assessment English.
- Please prepare a talk on your research. Your talk may be no longer than 8 minutes. Do keep in mind that most of your audience will be non-experts. To ensure that your talk is as authentic as possible, please give your talk in the format which is typical of your field (e.g. PowerPoint, flipchart, etc.).
Language of workshop: English
Target group: Doctoral candidates of LMU Munich (the number of participants is limited)
Certificate of attendance: Participants will receive a certificate of attendance from the GraduateCenterLMU.