|Beyond the PhD – What’s Next? How to Find and Reach Your Goals||25.03.2021 10:00 - 16:00 (Thu)|
|Beyond the PhD – What’s Next? How to Find and Reach Your Goals||26.03.2021 09:30 - 18:00 (Fri)|
GraduateCenterLMU Online Workshop for Doctoral Candidates
Writing a PhD thesis is a time of many challenges and a decisive step in your professional career. As you approach the final stage of your PhD – or, ideally, even some time before this – you need to start looking ahead and beyond the thesis alone. "What's next?!" This question may seem like an inefficient distraction from your thesis, yet not addressing it proactively might mean that it lingers in the back of your head, taking energy away from your research. After a PhD, early career researchers have many options: You can stay on the academic path, starting as a postdoc and striving for a professorship in the future. Or, you might want to look for a change – move into the business and industry world, start your own entrepreneurial project, work for an NGO or non-profit-organization etc. Different people may give you all sorts of advice, and it can be hard to find out what you actually want for yourself.
This workshop aims to help you find answers to essential questions for your next steps beyond the PhD:
- What are your personal competencies? What is it that you are good at and that you love to do? Which job options do these skills open up for you?
- What do you want from a job? When are you feeling most productive in a working environment?
- What other goals do you have in life and how can you combine your professional and personal vision?
The workshop consists of three parts:
- First, you will get access to an online video providing basic information about career options after the PhD inside and outside academia and a task for your personal reflection as a preparation for the workshop.
- Second, you will participate in a group workshop on March 25, 2021, where you can continue reflecting on your own competencies and goals.
- As an optional third step, you can take part in a 60-minute one-on-one coaching format on March 26, 2021, where you can focus in more depth on your individual questions and concerns and get a further boost on your path beyond the PhD.
Language of workshop: English
Target group: Doctoral candidates of EUGLOH member universities (the number of participants is limited)
Certificate of attendance: Participants will receive a certificate of attendance from the GraduateCenterLMU.