The Rachel Carson Center for Environment and Society and Herrmannsdorfer Landwerkstätten are pleased to invite applications for our fellowship program based at the Herrmannsdorf Landwerkstätten (an organic farm outside of Munich).
Launched in January 2022, the Landhaus Fellowship Program is a residential program. Ten fellows live and work together in the newly renovated historic house on the Herrmannsdorfer farm. Fellowships are open to excellent doctoral, postdoctoral, and senior scholars, as well as outreach scholars, working in the field of environment and society.
We accept applications for academic (doctoral, postdoctoral, and beyond) or scholarly outreach projects (journalism, documentary film, community engagement, etc.) in disciplines that are in dialogue with environment and society. All fellows are expected to spend their fellowship in residence at the RCC Landhaus, to work on a major project, and to actively participate in life at the RCC. Please note that the RCC does not sponsor field work or archival research.
Fellows at the RCC Landhaus have their own bedroom and bathroom and share kitchen, dining, and common spaces, which include a spacious living room, conference room, and outdoor terrace and garden. Landhaus fellows are also integrated in the RCC’s academic life in Munich; they have access to workspaces and libraries, and attend the center’s regular events.
In most cases, fellowships will be granted for a period of six or twelve months. The starting dates are 1 April 2023 and 1 October 2023. Applicants must commit to arriving on one of these two dates and should indicate their preferred duration and a firm starting date in their application.
The Landhaus fellowship includes the use of a single-occupancy room with its own bathroom. Fellows receive a monthly stipend to cover basic living costs (food and transport) based on their career level at the start of the fellowship; the monthly stipend will be adjusted somewhat depending on the fellowship’s exact terms and conditions. As a rule, candidates can expect the following funding:
- 600 Euros for doctoral fellows
- 850 Euros for post-doctoral fellows
- 1,100 Euros for senior fellows (15+ years post-doctoral)
Fellows also receive a monthly food voucher for the on-site farm shop to the value of 125 Euros. The RCC provides assistance with local transportation (bikes, information on public transportation, etc.). There will be a limited number of partial travel grants available for successful applicants.
- fellows must have a demonstrated academic or scholarly outreach record in the field of environment and society;
- fellows must either be enrolled in a doctoral program or finished with their doctoral degree by 31 July 2022; those applying for an outreach fellowship are exempt from this requirement;
- fellows must commit to a stay of six or twelve months;
- fellowships must start on the first day of the month and conclude on the last day of the month;
- fellows must be able to live in and actively contribute to a residential program with a diverse group of scholars; please note that there are no facilities for partners and children at the RCC Landhaus and rooms are single occupancy only.
The deadline for applications was 31 July 2022. The application portal is open from 1–31 July 2022. It closes at 23:59 (Central European Time) on 31 July 2022. Decisions will be announced by 31 October 2022.
The application (in English) should include the following:
- Cover letter (750 words maximum);
- Curriculum vitae (3 pages maximum);
- Project description (1,000 words maximum);
- Proposed contributions to the Landhaus and RCC Community (300 words maximum);
- Research schedule for the fellowship period (300 words maximum), including starting date (must be fixed) and preferred length of stay; it is possible to take up the fellowship on 1 April 2023 or 1 October 2023.
- Names and contact information of three scholars as referees; these should be people who know you and your work well. Please note that we do not initially require letters, and we may not contact your referees.
For more information, please visit the Frequently Asked Questions section of our website. Please consult this section thoroughly before contacting us with questions. If you need to contact us, please email us at email@example.com. This email address is checked during normal working hours in Munich; please understand that we may need a few days to get back to you.