Welcome to our online application tool!
Thank you for your interest in a PhD position at IRTG1123 Atherosclerosis – Mechanisms and Networks of Novel Therapeutic Targets. You can find detailed information about IRTG1123 on our website: www.sfb1123.med.uni-muenchen.de/graduate-program/ .
This application round was open from June 10, 2022 until July 31, 2022.
Applicants are invited to look through the different projects that are enrolled in the consortia SFB1123 and to name, in their application, the projects which they would like to be their research focus.
Formal requirements for doctoral students
1. University degree
Applicants for the PhD program are required to hold a German university Diploma, a Master’s degree, Staatsexamen or equivalent in Medicine- or Natural Sciences-related field. If the applicant received the degree from a university outside Germany, this has to be equivalent to the respective German degree. In this case, please check eligibility with the Doctoral Office at Munich Medical Research School (MMRS).
If the applicant is presenting degrees from outside Germany, or not an English-speaking country, the degree has to be translated to German or English.
The Master (or equivalent) program needs to be completed before the starting of the IRTG1123 program.
All degrees have to be approved by the admissions and registration office at Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität. For applicants outside EU-countries a GRE subject test is recommended. For applicants originating from India GATE is an alternative to GRE.
2. Language skills
All events of the IRTG1123/CRC1123 are conducted in English. Applicants are required to fully understand and fluently communicate in written as well as spoken English. Requirements are:
- EU level of B2, OR
- IELTS score between 5.0 and 6.5, OR
- TOEFL score between 87 and 109.
English native speakers or those who have completed a degree in English are not required to submit this confirmation.
- Registration: You have to register first. For this, you have to enter your name and choose a username and password. You will instantly receive a confirmation e-mail with an activation link. You will then be able to enter your applications details. Attention: In rare cases, some email accounts will classify the confirmation e-mail as spam. If you do not receive a confirmation e-mail after registering, please check your spam folder.
- Required documents: After entering the required information, upload the following documents:
- Mandatory documents:
Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Transcript (record of study) and degree certificate of Master Degree, Diplom, Staatsexamen or equivalent degree (when applicable, in German or English). If at the time of application the degree is not completed, please provide temporary transcripts
- Important: Please also fill in the motivation section outlining why you like to join the program and which project area you like to work on. We would like to hear about your general motivation for conducting a PhD and in specific, why you would like to join us. What are your learning objectives and your future goals?
- Letters of recommendation: For your application, two letters of recommendation (e.g. from your Master and Bachelor supervisor) are required. Please contact your referees as soon as possible and get their affirmation to write a recommendation on your behalf. Then fill out the tabs for referee contacts in the application form. Once you have submitted your application, the referees will be automatically invited to submit their letters of recommendation electronically. Other forms of reference letters (mail, PDF) will not be accepted.
- Certificate of proficiency in English (applicable to non-English native speakers, or applicants whose education was not in English)
- Certificates of scholarships, prizes and awards (when applicable)
- GRE subject test (to applicants from a non-EU country)
- GATE scores (to applicants from India)
All documents that you are asked to upload (such as certificates and transcripts of records) have to be uncrypted PDF files or .jpg files! After submission, a PDF of your application including all uploaded documents will be created automatically. Applications will be reviewed independently by members of different Institutes participating in SFB1123. Selection will be based on academic qualification, letters of recommendation, research experience and motivation.