The Munich Center for Machine Learning (MCML) seeks applications for PhD positions in AI.
We offer several PhD positions in any field of research within the domains of machine learning. The positions are ranked according to German TV-L E13 (100%), for a duration period of 3 years. Applicants should hand in a proposal for an original research project.
Welcome to our online application tool!
Application deadline: 15 November 2023 (Portal closes at 23:59 CET)
In order to apply to the program, you have to create an account first. For this, you have to enter your name and choose a username and password. You will instantly receive a confirmation e-mail with an activation link. You will then be able to use the application link at the bottom of this page. Some e-mail accounts might classify the confirmation e-mail as spam. If you do not receive a confirmation e-mail after registering, please check your JUNK/SPAM folder.
- Only complete applications submitted via the online tool before the deadline will be considered
- Always “Save” your application to make sure the data is stored
- Formally submit your application by clicking the “Save and Submit” button (last tab) once your application is complete
- Once you have submitted your application it is no longer possible to make changes!
- The maximum file size per uploaded document (jpg/PDF) is limited to 5 MB and should not be encrypted
- After submission, a PDF of your application including all uploaded documents will be created automatically.
- There are no application fees
Letters of recommendation
- You must provide contact details and an email address for one referee
- Please fill in this information in the online application form carefully
- Once you have submitted your application, your referee will receive an automated email, inviting them to submit an online recommendation through the application tool
- Please contact your referees and get their affirmation to write a recommendation on your behalf.
- Make sure that your referees have enough time to submit the recommendation by the deadline (22 November 2023 at 23:59 CET)
- Other forms of reference letters (mail, PDF) will not be accepted
- Monitor the status of your recommendation letters under "Progress" in the "Application" menu
- Explanation for icons:
- Process/step pending
- Process/step completed
- Form sheet
- Master Degree or equivalent in one of the following fields (must be completed no later than 1 July 2024): informatics / computer science, artificial intelligence, machine learning, mathematics, statistics, data science, or physics
- Excellent grades
- A very good command of the English language
- Strong scientific motivation
- Interest in interdisciplinary research
Timeline for the application round 2023
- Opening of the online application system: 15 October
- Deadline for submitting the applications: 15 November 2023 (Portal closes at 23:59 CET)
- Deadline for submitting the letters of reference by the referees: 22 November 2023
- Screening: 24 November - 3 December 2023
- Review and potentially Interviews: 12 December – 31 January 2024
- Decision: 28 February 2024
- Starting date: 1 July 2024 (later start is also possible)
To apply, please upload the following documents (as PDF files) in the Application Portal:
- A cover letter of 1-2 pages in which you explain why you would like to join our center, and what qualifications you have to do so.
- An academic CV (including, among other things, your list of publications)
- Transcript of all your courses, including grades from your M.Sc.
- A research project proposal (2 pages).
- A writing sample in English on a topic in the focus of the three domain areas of the MCML: You may submit a published paper, a part of your Master thesis, or any other piece of writing that indicates your skill. A writing sample should not exceed 5 pages.
- Proof of English language proficiency (Cambridge Certificate, IELTS, TOEFL) of at least Level C1 (or higher), if your first language is not English. An English waiver can be granted if you have earned your first (or previous) degree in a program that has been taught in English. In this case, upload your degree diploma in English
- Upload of one confidential letter of recommendation on official letterhead, with your full name as the subject.
- Names of 3 MCML PIs you would like to work with (check out here: https://mcml.ai/team/)
If you have any questions, please write to email@example.com