Welcome to the online application tool for the Doctoral Training Program in the Learning Sciences (DTP-LS) at the Munich Center of the Learning Sciences (MCLS)
Thank you for your interest in the Doctoral Training Program in the Learning Sciences!
The Doctoral Training Program in the Learning Sciences (DTP-LS) is one central training component of the MCLS, the Munich Center of the Learning Sciences. The main goals of the DTP include facilitating access to methods and skills of the participating disciplines to the doctoral students, support in designing and conducting state-of-the-art dissertation research projects, doctoral research quality ensurance in the context of the MCLS through systematic support, and the integration of the doctoral students into the relevant scientific communities.
The application period for the DTP: Learning Sciences is as follows (The tool is not open beforehand): Mid-January – March 01 for October intake
Submission deadline (MCLS recommendation letter available): March 01, 11:59pm (UTC+1) – Your referee (previous professor) and your potential supervisor (MCLS member) must upload their reference letter / MCLS Recommendation Letter by March 15.
We highly recommend that you submit the application a few days before the deadline. This serves to avoid any submission problems due to server problems, which may occur if too many users try to submit their application at once.
In order to get accepted, international applicants who have not studied in Germany before have to apply at (1) the Doctoral Training Program and (2) the International Office of LMU via the Doctoral Program's Office. German students or international students with a German degree only need to apply at (1) the Doctoral Training Program.
1. Information on the Online Application for the DTP-LS
- Your data is NOT stored automatically! Please use the "save" button at the bottom of each page to store your information before logging out!
- Upload of documents: Select the file and then click on "upload"
- Only PDF files can be uploaded. In case there is only one "Upload document" request for multiple PDF files (e.g., multiple degree certificates), please merge the PDFs into one and then upload it (You find various freeware online).
- You don’t have to fill out the application in one go. You can come back to it throughout the application period. You are able to change information until you have “submitted” your application.
- There is a separate "Save and Submit" button for final submission This is visible at the bottom of each page. You will be notified if some fields have not been filled in or if there is a document missing.
- The recommendation letters (reference letter and MCLS Recommendation Letter) must be uploaded by the referees themselves (previous professor and potential supervisor). Please get in touch with them before entering their contact details to request the upload of the respective document. Once you "Save and Submit" your otherwise complete application, an automatic email is sent to the indicated person(s) and no further changes are possible. You must contact your referees in advance and ensure the accuracy of their contact information. In exceptional cases (e.g. unexpected change in referee availability) please contact the coordination office.
You will receive a confirmation about the successful upload of recommendation letters via e-mail. If you did not receive one 5 days before the applicable deadline, please make sure to send a reminder to your referee/potential supervisor!
- After successful submission of all documents (“Save and Submit”), the profile cannot be edited anymore. No further changes are possible.
- There is an email notification confirming the successful submission of your application.
- An overview of the application procedure can be found here: http://www.en.mcls.lmu.de/study_programs/dtp/deadline/
The application requirements incl. a list of all required documents can be found through the following link: http://www.en.mcls.lmu.de/study_programs/dtp/documents2/
Here is the link to the FAQ and all necessary documents:
2. Application at the international office of the LMU Munich (only for applicants with foreign citizenship and no prior German university degree)
Check if you are considered an international student: http://www.en.uni-muenchen.de/students/degree/admission_info/where_apply/
The MCLS coordination office supports the application to the LMU international office if you send the requested documents to the coordination office by May 15.
If you want to use this offer, you need to take the following steps:
(1) Check the list of required documents: http://www.en.mcls.lmu.de/study_programs/dtp/application/application_doc... (link is external)
(2) Send the documents as certified copies to the coordination office (not to the international office) by May 15
(3) For students accepted after the application interview: We check all hardcopy IO applications that were submitted in time for completeness and correctness of documents.
- If the application is complete and in the required format we forward it to the international office.
- If documents are missing or not in the required format we will inform you and ask you to obtain the specific document. Once you sent it to us, we add it your application and forward the complete application to the international office
- This way we can ensure that "incomplete" applications are not directly rejected
If you do not use this offer, we will not be able to assist you in this process.
- Since the MCLS doctoral programs are offered in English, there is no need for proof of German language fluency.
All information about deadlines and required documents for application at the international office can be found here: http://www.en.uni-muenchen.de/students/degree/admission_info/
- We do not accept applications after the deadline.
- Incomplete applications cannot be processed.
- If your application is rejected, you can apply again next year.