Welcome to the online application tool for the Doctoral Programs at the Munich Center of the Learning Sciences (MCLS)
Thank you for your interest in the Doctoral Programs at the MCLS!
Both programs aim at facilitating access to methods and skills of the participating disciplines to the doctoral candidates, offer support in designing and conducting state-of-the-art dissertation research projects, and ensure the quality of doctoral research in the context of the MCLS through systematic support, and the integration of the doctoral candidates into the relevant scientific communities.
The REASON Doctoral School offers 10 PhD positions (equaling 2/3 of a full academic position, amounting to approximately 29.000 – 34.000 €/year, initial duration of 24 months with the possibility of extending for one year). All successful candidates pursue the degree: “PhD in the Learning Sciences”.
The Doctoral Training Program (DTP) offers different degree choices (e.g. “PhD in the Learning Sciences”, Dr. phil, Dr. rer. nat., …). Unfortunately, there are no direct funding options for DTP doctoral candidates.
The application period for both MCLS Doctoral Programs for the winter term 2019/2020 is as follows:
Submission deadline (no MCLS recommendation letter available): April 01, 2019, 11:59pm (UTC+1)
Submission deadline (MCLS recommendation letter available): April 15, 2019, 11:59pm (UTC+1)
We highly recommend that you submit the application a few days before the deadline. This serves to avoid any submission problems due to server problems, which may occur if too many users try to submit their application at once.
In order to get accepted, international applicants who have not studied in Germany before have to apply at (1) the MCLS Doctoral Program(s) and (2) the International Office of LMU via the Doctoral Program's Office. German students or international students with a German degree only need to apply at (1) the MCLS Doctoral Program.
1. Information on the Online Application for the MCLS
- Your data is NOT stored automatically! Please use the “save” button at the bottom of each page to store your information before logging out!
- Upload of documents: Select the file and then click on “upload”
- Only PDF files can be uploaded. In case there is only one "Upload document" request for multiple PDF files (e.g., Evidence for all courses and experience), please merge the PDFs into one and then upload it (You find various freeware online).
- The recommendation letter and the MCLS Supervisory Agreement must be uploaded by the referee and supervisor themselves. Please get in touch with them before entering their contact details to request the upload of the respective document. Once you enter their data and click on “Save”, an automatic email is sent to the indicated person and no further changes are possible. If you want to change your referee or supervisor data (e.g. indicating a different referee/supervisor or entering a different email address), you will have to contact the coordination office. We highly recommend contacting your referees in advance and ensuring the accuracy of their contact information.
- You don’t have to fill out the application in one go. You can come back to it throughout the application period. You are able to change information until you “submitted” your application.
- There is a separate "Save and Submit" button for final submission of all documents and data. This is visible at the bottom of each page. You will be notified if some fields have not been filled in or if there is a document missing.
- After successful submission of all documents, the profile cannot be edited anymore. No further changes are possible.
- There is also an email notification, confirming the successful submission of your application.
- An overview of the application procedure can be found here: www.en.mcls.lmu.de/study_programs/mcls-doctoral-programs/application-procedure. The application requirements are explained here: www.en.mcls.lmu.de/study_programs/mcls-doctoral-programs/application-requirements. A list of all required documents can be found here: www.en.mcls.lmu.de/study_programs/doctoral-programs/necessary-application-docs.pdf.
2. Application at the international office of the LMU Munich (only for applicants with foreign citizenship and no prior German university degree)
Check if you are considered an international student: www.en.uni-muenchen.de/students/degree/admission_info/where_apply/index.html
The MCLS coordination office supports the application to the LMU international office if you send the requested documents to the coordination office by June 01.
If you want to use this offer, you need to take the following steps:
Check the list of required documents (www.en.mcls.lmu.de/study_programs/doctoral-programs/necessary-application-docs.pdf)
Send the documents as certified copies to the coordination office (not to the international office) by June 01, 2019
We check all applications that were submitted in time for completeness and correctness of documents. - If the application is complete and in the required format we forward it to the international office. - If documents are missing or not in the required format we will inform you and ask you to obtain the specific document. Once you sent it to us, we add it your application and forward the complete application to the international office
If you do not want to use this offer, we will not be able to assist you in this process.
Since the MCLS doctoral programs are offered in English, there is no need for proof of German language fluency.
All information about deadlines and required documents for application at the international office can be found here: www.en.uni-muenchen.de/students/degree/admission_info/index.html
- We do not accept applications after the deadline.
- Incomplete applications cannot be processed.
- If your application is rejected, you can apply again next year.